Matron Rose Anne HUTTON

Female 1856 - 1910  (53 years)


Personal Information

  • Name Rose Anne HUTTON 
    Prefix Matron 
    Born 8 Oct 1856  Falconer, Via Guyra, NSW.Australia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Female 
    Died 27 Jul 1910  her sister Nellie's residence, Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Ref: The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954) Thursday 28 July 1910 p 6 Family Notices"Hutton ,2 July 1910.At the residence of her sister Mrs.Mawdsley ,Rockhampton,Rose Anne (Nurse) second daughter of the late James Hutton ,of Raspberry Creek Queensland"
    Buried 28 Jul 1910  South Rockhampton Cemetery, Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Notes 
    • Some records have Rose Anne as marrying John Horne in 1870, but John Horne married Rose Anne's 1st cousin, Rose Ann (Rosina) Hutton(Rosina is the name transcribed in her birth record but the death record for Rosina is recorded as Rose Ann).
    Person ID I3180  Kirkpatrick Family Archives
    Last Modified 12 May 2020 

    Father James HUTTON, ,of Falconer Inn ,and Raspberry Creek,Qld,   b. 1826, Inch, Downshire, Ireland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 5 Oct 1898, Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 72 years) 
    Mother Mary CAMERON,   b. 19 May 1830, Trislaig, near Fort William, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 29 Aug 1896, Ashfield, New South Wales, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 66 years) 
    Married 22 Dec 1852  The Presbyterian Church, Armidale, NSW , Australia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Ref: The Maitland Mercury & Hunter River General Advertiser (NSW : 1843 - 1893) Wednesday 29 December 1852 p 3 Family Notices

      "Married.-At Falconer, New England, on the 22nd inst., by the Rev. J. Morison, Mr. James Hutton, Falconer Inn, to Mary, second daughter of Mr. J. Cameron, Falconer Plains "

      Nine years after their marriage, James and Mary Hutton moved with their children to Central Queensland, taking up the Raspberry Creek run, north of Rockhampton, in 1863. The journey took six months and the family brought with them all their possessions, loaded on two buckboards driven by Mary and their seven year old son William, and some few hundred head of cattle. Family lore has it that James Hutton had previously visited the area with Robert Ross and his sons, James and John, who were also from the New England district. James Hutton and James Ross formed a partnership to acquire the Raspberry Creek Run. James Hutton then returned to New South Wales selling their property and organising the journey north to Central Queensland. On arrival, the party went first to Cawarral, where Mary and the children remained until the first bark and slab huts were erected at Raspberry Creek. These huts were about three miles from the site finally selected and were later moved. The present homestead was built using pit sawn timber for the walls and shingles for the roof. By 1868, the partnership between Ross and Hutton had dissolved and the Huttons became the sole owners of Raspberry Creek. From 1869, following resumption and opening of the resumed land to selection, the Huttons took up further selections at Shoalwater and Banksia. When the family grew larger, weather boards for extensions were brought in by boat along Shoalwater Creek, most stores were brought in by boat as it was easier than overlanding. In 1894, the Huttons moved to Sydney where they stayed until Mary's death in 1896. James returned to Raspberry Creek and continued to run the station with his eldest son William until his death in 1898. William Hutton resided at Raspberry Creek Homestead until his retirement in 1911. During his time on Raspberry Creek, William, and his wife Rose, gained a reputation for their refined hospitality. Raspberry Creek was sold to William Naughton in 1914 and passed out of the ownership of the Hutton Family. The former Raspberry Creek Homestead is valued by the community as demonstrated by the project to preserve it as an important part of the history of the area, and it is associated with the historical society whose focus it has been since the late 1980s. In 1988 the Raspberry Creek Homestead was moved to its present location in the grounds of the Byfield Historical Society.
    Family ID F50  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart




This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2020.